Life coaching can be a really good way for you to obtain a new direction in your life. Life coaching can be done through telephone sessions, as well as face to face interviews.
Egan wrote an excellent book called The Skilled Helper and this model can be used as a life coaching tool. This three stage model involves:
- Telling your story, what is going on with you at the moment?
- Exploring how you want life to be different
- Exploring how you can set smart goals that change your life
A smart goal is a goal that is:
- You will know exactly what it is that you want
- You know when you have achieved it
- You know that you can achieve it, and work out what steps you need to take to do this
- It is realistic given your talents, skills, circumstances etc
- Time framed
- You set yourself a time-frame by which your goal can be achieved
You can also combine Egan’s three stage model with the powerful tool of Focusing, to produce very real and lasting changes to your life. Focusing is a simple skill, that involves you accessing the wisdom of your whole body, through bringing awareness into your body – your heart beating, your breathing, body sensations – and testing out your goals, thoughts and ideas, to find out how your body responds to them. Focusing provides you with a tool to make better informed and more rounded decisions.
If you are interested in Life Coaching sessions, combining Egan and Focusing, then contact me.
The Skilled Helper
Recognised for its successful problem-management and opportunity development approach to effective helping, the text emphasises the collaborative nature of the therapist-client relationship and uses a practical, three-stage model that drives client problem-managing and opportunity-developing action.